So, I stumbled across this original recipe in social media – so check it first:
If you are Vegan – just follow the above amazing recipe and stop reading now.
For omnivores, you can safely continue:
Tofu is not going to happen for the hubby, and I had some minced turkey to use, so my version of these pan fried buns:
Dough – make the same as shown above:
- – 300 g [~2 1/2 cups] all-purpose (plain) flour
- – 175 ml [3/4 cup] hot water
- – a pinch of salt
Mix all the ingredients together, knead into a dough, let it rest for 30 minutes.
In a skillet, sauté in some oil – I have olive oil, that’s what I use:
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 1 stalk of celery chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- ½ cup grated cabbage
- 200 g minced turkey < or your protein of choice>
Cook it all together until the meat is cooked – this just felt safest as I was not sure how well it might cook from raw in the steamed bun…
Let it cool, and add 1 tablespoon or so each:
- soya sauce < or your choice of salty>
- mirin < or your choice of sweet>
- balsamic vinegar < or your choice of vinegar>
- sesame oil < or your choice of flavoured oil like garlic oil etc.>
Stir it up and add salt and pepper to taste.
Divide dough into 10 portions, roll each one into 4″-5″ circular disk to fill.
Spoon in the filling, pinch the buns closed, dip them into the sesame seeds and pan fry as directed, adding the water to finish with steaming as indicated!
I served ours with steamed broccoli and green beans < in homage to the original recipe>