I’m using that recipe as inspiration…I don’t have all the spices, nor vegetable broth.
Crockpot Sweet Potato Lentils ( my version)
• 3 large sweet potatoes, diced (about 6 cups)
• 3 cups water
• 1 onion, minced
• 2 teaspoon each ground coriander, curry powder and chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 cups uncooked red lentils (masoor dal)
• 1 can coconut milk
• 1 cup water
1. Place the sweet potatoes, water, onion, and spices in a crockpot. Cook on high for 3 hours, until vegetables are soft.
2. Add the lentils and stir once. Replace the lid and cook on high for an additional 1 1/2 hours.
3. Stir in the coconut milk and as much water as needed to get the right consistency.
Heading out tonight for a rum tasting party and wanted to contribute something subtle to counter the amount of rum I’ll be ingesting 🤗
Off I went to the grocery store…
So a bag of chicago mix popcorn will start, but I then found some pumpernickel, yum! But I’m not in the mood for the standard spinach dipping sauce tonight. Veggie pate experiment time!
IT is chilling now in the fridge, but I think it’s gentle flavour will work tonight!
I divided it into two blocks, so I’ll have more for other gatherings in the near future!
Lentil vegetable spread/pate
1 cup lentils, rinse and sort. Let drain.
Into a sauce pan:
1 onion chopped finely
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
Sauté on medium low heat until onions are translucent. Add lentils and enough water to cover by 2cm or so. Simmer on medium -low heat until lentils are pretty much cooked-about 20 minutes.
2 carrots grated
½ cup grated cabbage
Continue to cook until everything is tender. Another 10-15 minutes.
Purée. You can use an immersion blender or food processor-it’s hot so be careful!
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1tsp maple syrup
Salt and pepper to taste-any other spices that inspire you!
Pour into a tray/pan lined with wax paper and chill.
And that’s that!